Director of the Student Experience
I. JOB SUMMARY
The highly visible incumbent is responsible for implementing the mission and vision of D’Youville College and the Division of Student Affairs while directing the student experience on campus from the moment a campus tour occurs through commencement. This inaugural position will provide administrative oversight for the total holistic experience on campus which encompass tours, open houses, orientation programs for both undergraduate and graduate programs, and annual student leadership programs. The successful candidate will be a self-starter who thrives amidst an ever-changing and unpredictable work environment and will have demonstrated skills in the areas of leadership and programming. The Director of the Student Experience will report directly to the Chief Student Affairs Officer; is responsible for the departmental budget and will serve on various college committees. Evening and weekend hours may be required when the college is in session to manage workload and attend meetings and College functions. This 12-month position will ensure that the College is “student-ready” and that every student has the opportunity to be engaged outside of the classroom.
II. PRIMARY JOB DUTIES:
- Coordinate an energetic campus tour experience for perspective students;
- Develop and implement an innovative open house experience that engages both perspective students and their families by coordinating with admissions, faculty, and staff;
- Create and manage a modern student orientation model for both undergraduate and graduate students that showcases academics, campus life, student support, and leadership development;
- Recruit, train, and supervise a student staff of “college ambassadors”; student staff of orientation leaders; and a graduate assistant student from a local higher education administration program;
- Provide supervision, development, and feedback for all appropriate department staff;
- Collaborate with the Directors of Engagement & Housing and Development & Advocacy on the administration of comprehensive student experience programs for first-year students;
- Develop policies and procedures for the recognition and support of extracurricular involvement;
- Work closely with the Director of Student Engagement and Housing and the Director of Student Development and Advocacy on the administration of Living Learning Communities;
- Develop community service and experiential learning opportunities for students with set measurable learning outcomes;
- Serve as the Student Affairs leader for institutional commencement ceremonies;
- Attend bi-weekly 1:1 meetings with the Chief Student Affairs officer and monthly Student Affairs Directors meetings;
- Manage departmental assessment efforts and data gathering, respond to data/statistical inquiries from campus stakeholders, and ensure student development and satisfaction;
III. OTHER JOB DUTIES:
- Ensure a student-centered departmental environment with a focus on customer service;
- Support the overall campus programming model by collaborating with faculty, staff, and SGA on initiatives and events;
- Collaborate with faculty and staff across campus to ensure
- Serve as an atIXa trained investigator/hearing panel officer;
- Serve as an educator, mediator, reviewer when a student concern is escalated as a result of published policy, departmental process, or at the request of the Chief Student Affairs Officer;
- Other duties as assigned by the Chief Student Affairs Officer.
IV. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- Demonstrated experience working in or supervision of student leadership programming;
- Thorough knowledge and proven track record in Student Affairs, including policy development, programming and student development;
- Strong cross-cultural, interpersonal, and writing skills necessary, including the ability to represent the College in a positive way to diverse populations;
- A demonstrated commitment to promoting a diverse and inclusive community;
- Possesses a demonstrated ability to develop linkages with other college community partners through significant outreach efforts to support student success in and out of the classroom;
- Ability to innovative and create programs that supports student learning, leading to increased persistence and graduation rates across diverse student populations;
- Ability to work with a wide variety of individuals on campus and in all areas of the community to accomplish student life objectives;
- Ability to make sound professional judgments, often under deadline pressure, when dealing with student related issues;
- A proven ability to identify and address problems, exhibit competence in identifying and interpreting needed areas of assessment, display sensitivity regarding personnel matters and the ability to participate effectively in short and long-range planning;
- A strong commitment to the college’s mission to honor the catholic heritage and the spirit of St. Marguerite d’Youville working with students from across diverse cultures, backgrounds and faith traditions that promotes leadership and service.
V. JOB SPECIFICATIONS:
- Master's degree in Higher Education Administration or related field.
- 4-6 years of professional experience within Student Affairs showing progressive responsibilities.